World Teachers’ Day
On Friday 26 October 2018 250 education leaders from all sectors and organisation gathered at the Convention Centre to congratulate the best and finest in the education profession at the Educators SA World Teachers’ Day Celebration. 40 Awards were presented to outstanding educators who had been nominated by their peers as leaders in their profession.
World Teachers’ Day was inaugurated on the 5th October 1994 by the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) to commemorate the 1966 joint signing of the UNESCO/ILO (International Labour Organisation) recommendation concerning hte status of Teachers. Celebrated in over 100 countries, World Teachers Day acknowledges the efforts of teachers in an increasingly complex, multicultural and technological society. It is a day on which students, parents and community members can demonstrate their appreciation for the contributions that teachers have made to their community.
Internationally, World Teachers’ Day is celebrated on the first Friday in October. However, as this is usually during the Australian school holidays, Educators SA holds the World Teachers Day awards ceremony on the last Friday in October to celebrate the contribution made by South Australians to the education profession. So next World Teachers’ Day is on 25th of October 2019!
In addition to recognising and celebrating awards that professional Associations have made during the year to their members, there are also the following awards:
- Educators SA/Credit Union SA Early Career Teacher Award
- Educators SA/Credit Union SA Innovative Association Award
- Educators SA/Credit Union SA Teacher Supporting Teachers Award
- Andersons Solicitors Connecting our Education Community Award
- Flinders University School of Education Award
- University of South Australia School of Education Award
- Adelaide University School of Education AwardTeachers Registration Board Induction and Mentoring – Early Careers Award
- Minister’s Arts Award – Primary & Secondary
- World Education Forum SA Educators Award